Whatch'ya Lookin For?

Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Apologies to 2010

Looking back at my "Best of 2010" post, I realized I did not give credit where credit was due. So here it goes.

Dear 2010,
It is with my deepest regret, that I did not mention one of the most important things you introduced me to.
Zumba.
Without it, my life would not be as enjoyable or fun. 
So again, my apologies.

Sincerely,
Melissa


Although, if we are going to be honest, Zumba deserves its own post so it all equals out, right? For those people who are not aware of what Zumba is, it's "Latin based aerobics. There is a different choreography for each song." Personally, I am instructor loyal which Ill explain in greater detail later. There are oh so many wonderful reasons I love Zumba so I thought I would list just a few...

1. It brings women of all different shapes, sizes, age, culture, professions (and men...yes men, too) together for an hour of fun!

2. It is one of the few times that I enjoy my booty and using it to it's full capability

3. It really works your memory. I'd say that I have approximately 2 hours worth (maybe more) of dances memorized.

4. I have really improved my dancing ability...I most likely would be deadly competition on Dancing With the Stars.

5. You make zumba friends that understand the fantasticness of zumba and specific zumba instructors.

6. I not only feel comfortable walking into a gym setting, I feel like I belong there.

7. Shaking my booty to Shakira is one of the highlights of my week! It's fun to be sexy.

8. Being introduced to new songs and finding you like songs you never thought you would.

9. It is such a good feeling to feel like I am naturally better at ONE physical activity than my hubs :)

10. I know this is like the 3rd time, but it deserves being mentioned 3 times. I enjoy and celebrate my butt during this one hour. For real. 

Never thought the words "enjoy, celebrate, my" and "butt" would make it into the same sentence.

Enter Zumba.

Let me quickly explain my theory on Zumba instructors. For all the "Zumba Naysayers," there are two types of instructors:

A. Super fit, in shape athletic trainer who also teaches kickboxing, cycling, etc. They thoroughly enjoy working out and have decided "Hey, Zumba is in right now. Let's add that to the mix."

B. Just as busy as the rest of us and dreads getting on the treadmill. Happened to do Zumba because they love to dance and it was the only type of "exercise" that they 1. enjoyed  and/or 2. worked for them.

If you may have guessed, my awesome instructor is B. I find it an odd coincidence that the "normal" sized woman gives me the best workout and is also the class I have the most fun in.

One of my experiences with instructor A goes as follows:

I wake up on a Saturday morning very excited for Zumba. I think to myself, "That's right, Melissa. You are doing such a fantastic thing for yourself this morning by doing an hour of Zumba. And plus you get to shake your booty."  I am anxiously awaiting instructor B, when instructor A walks in. She asks everyone how they are doing and just "mentions" that she has already hiked Squaw Peak twice this morning and is now "ready" for an hour of Zumba. Really?? She chose to hike a mountain twice and then sub for Zumba?  And I thought I was awesomely athletic for doing an hour of Zumba on a Saturday morning. 
(So ya'all know, instructor B is a lovely person by the way, so super sweet. I just would much rather have an instructor I can relate with. You understand, right?)

So for all the Zumba naysayers, I say you got the wrong instructor and need to try a different one. And maybe you are the opposite of me and enjoy the super fit, athletic Zumba.


Alright. That wasn't a quick explanation.

If you are interested, go to www.zumba.com (Don't worry, if you go to the right class, Zumba isn't nearly as cheesy as the website makes it out to be. And the music isn't that bad either.)

Or just come with me! Who knows...maybe I will be your instructor B someday!



1 comment:

  1. I have heard such great things about Zumba, but I haven't tried it yet! Great review of it!!

    ReplyDelete